New web address for this blog!

There are no more updates to this site - please continue to follow us at our new address: http://www.prayct.org




Sunday, July 22, 2007

Congressman Shays refuses to give a non-apology apology


U.S. Rep. Christopher Shays

From The Courant:

After a profanity-laced altercation with a Capitol police officer - during which he reached to touch the officer's nametag - U.S. Rep. Christopher Shays Friday apologized Friday for acting "in a way I know was not appropriate."

The 4th District Republican said in a statement, " I take full responsibility for this incident and want to ensure it does not reflect negatively on the officer in any way." Capitol police did not respond to requests for comment.


The good part of this story is that Rep. Shays did not do what so many politicians do, which is give the old "non-apology apology." According to the Courant story, Mr. Shays said, "...I know I clearly could have handled the situation with the officer in a more professional and respectful way, and I regret I did not do so." We applaud this statement on the Congressman's part - it's a good example in this day of weaselly press releases.

No comments: