There are always good churches around, and the Lord's own words tell us that he is building up the Church as his own personal project. Therefore, we know that the Church (with a capital "C") will never go "out of business." However, for the sake of those who need to know God, honesty requires us to admit that some of our churches do need a doctor. Furthermore, history tells us that churches that don't see a doctor end up getting examined by a pathologist!
With that in mind, here's a list that may make us cringe: 10 reasons why people stop attending church. As Jesus said, "He who has ears to hear, let Him hear." (Please note that total may be more than 100% because respondents could supply more than one answer. Survey sample = 469 "formerly churched adults.")
- Simply got too busy - 19 %
- Family/home responsibilities prevented attendance - 17 %
- Church members seemed hypocritical - 17 %
- Church members were judgmental of others - 17 %
- Moved too far from church - 17 %
- Work situation prevented church attendance - 15 %
- Church was not helping me develop spiritually - 14 %
- Stopped believing in organized religion - 14 %
- Church was run by a clique that discouraged involvement - 12 %
- Got divorced/separated - 10 %
Source: Lifeway Research.
Tags: Connecticut, Christian, Christianity, Religion, Discipleship, News, Church, God