New web address for this blog!

There are no more updates to this site - please continue to follow us at our new address: http://www.prayct.org




Monday, February 27, 2006

All the way down? All the way up?

Just in case you missed it, which is probably unlikely, former Governor Rowland is out of prison, and talking the talk. You know, dropping the "G" word. The AP quotes him:

I kind of have this blind faith that God will work a way in my life that will steer me down a different path. I'm not sure what that plan is, but I know that God has a different plan, a better plan for me...

Courant columnist Helen Ubiñas isn't buying it, at least not yet. In an article entitled "Jailhouse Transformations Face The Test of Time," Ms. Ubiñas is admittedly skeptical, despite her frequent brushes with themes of religion and redemption.

We should be suspicious of a conversion that sounds a little too much like the Christian best-seller "The Purpose-Driven Life."

In fact, some of his declarations sounded so much like the book that in a follow-up e-mail I asked him if he had read it while he was away. But he didn't answer me, and passed on a face-to-face chat. There was nothing new for us to discuss, he said.

I think we're all old enough to know that jailhouse transformations face the test of time. At least I am. But some of them are very real. Charles Colson comes to mind, of course. His life across the last thirty years should suffice to convinve anyone of the reality of his conversion. At this point, let's just pray for the ex-Governor; if his apparent profession is the real thing, he'll need God's grace on a daily basis - as we all do.

And, it seems like Ms. Ubiñas has been doing a bit of reading herself, so let's pray for her, too...

Finally, looking to the future of our spiritually-troubled State, we still have God's command to pray for all those who are currently in authority.

Tags: , , ,

No comments: